July 26, 2008

Dreaming without an alarm in Bombay

I've been wanting to blog for quite a while now. Much has happened in my life and there has been a dramatic turnaround of sorts. Wasn't getting time of sorts to get around to doing it and was also a feeling a touch awkward about blogging about stuff that I hadn't told people as such. Anyways, here goes some long overdue blogging.

Life update in short - I have bid good bye to software engineering, EMC Corp (where I interned for six months) and Bangalore. Presently I'm in Bombay and working as a content writer at www.pagalguy.com which is one of India's top MBA preparation sites and is host to the largest online community of MBA related folks.

Detailed update for the blogosphere - While I was interning at EMC in Bangalore I had trotted over to Bombay for a week's trial at PG. (I haven't heard of any other company which has this trial deal. Probably it's only possible at a start-up but after having gone through it I can say that such a system should be there at other companies especially for people in their twenties. I'm sure if software biggies had a trial period and other choices were available for lost engineers then most of them wouldn't join a software firm!) Anyhow, the trial was fun. pagalguy.com is a startup and there are all of ten full-time employees at this company. After having undergone a six month stint at a 'good' company like EMC Corp, it's truly refreshing to work at a place where people talk normally, play music occasionally, don't meet just for the bloody heck of it and ya are basically chilled out but serious about work.

When I was considering making this career switch, a lot of people simply got flabbergasted that I was considering something like a full-time content writing job after having gone through four years of I.T. engineering. Well, if I had got through IIM A and decided to take up an MBA or gone for Jamia Milia Islamia for mass communication then I don't think many people would've bothered asking me, "So Harsh, do you feel that your engineering degree has been a waste?" I mean, give me a break for Christ's sake. I would love to have a discussion about the function of education as regards work. No problems with that but with straight jacketed thinking? Oh yes! People just seem to think on different lines. Their whole deal is, the entire world bitches about work life, just works for the money at the end of the month, 'learns' to start liking jobs (a touch of arranged marriage ideology here?) and here you're thinking of a considerable pay compromise to go for this vague ass content writing job at this unheard of company (for people who don't know the web and MBA market in India) in BOMBAY! "How will you manage there? It's sooo expensive there man! Difficult to survive there.." Thanks for the advice folks. Think I know myself well enough to know what I should do and dare I say, I can manage in this "mean city" which I've kind of fallen in love with. More about Bombay, the life, work and people I see in this city in future posts.

As for the title, I generally trot over to work at around eleven. No need to set an alarm. Also manage to go for a jog in the morning. Oh, and this is a foot in the door which leads to a lot of things methinks.

7 comments:

Shoaib Daniyal said...

Hmmm...

What exactly do you write for pagalguy, btw?

Even I've given a lot of thought to switiching to advertising, but then to be quite frank i didn't have the balls to take the jump from cushy job after electrical engg to the unknown.

So its quite commendable that you did, man, seriously.

But then how will you manage there? It's sooo expensive there man! Plus I've heard its difficult to survive there..

:P

Wordpsmith said...

I'm working as a content writer here.. Job involves covering B-schools, reporting on trends etc.. It's a journo role at it's core. But then, as I said, it's a start-up so the job profile isn't clear cut. So no monotony :-)

Most engineers are lost souls who wake up to find themselves coding classes, running lathe machines or connecting wires in nondescript places across India. I was one myself. But now I've woken up properly and done something about it.

As far as managing in Bombay goes and the job that I've got and how I've worked things out as far as accomodation goes, I'm sure you would love to be in my shoes.

:P

Descorpio said...

congrats harsh!i am glad you are following your heart..best of luck!

Wordpsmith said...

Thanks deeps :-)

Sudhir Pai said...

[:)]

I cant claim to know how "quintessential" engineers feel but then I'm sure very few can boast of satisfaction of work. And shahbash! if you've mastered the skills of surviving in mumbai, I'm sure you could probably take a few in your tutelage! you know, some freelance wont do you any harm [;)] I wont even think twice before enrolling for any life-skills tutorials!
he he!
Happy for you man!

IBSkoolin said...

Atta boy Maskara! PG and all.. keep us updated on how this works out for you.

Shubha said...

hey ,its strange how i bumped into your blog ... just doing some time pass on PG(on which i have been inactive for the longest while now) chanced upon this forum for photography , saw ur avatar thought id check out your blog, saw the pics and saw a distant beach and bam .. the bell rings maybe manipal , and nosy that i am it took me a few more clicks to find out aah yes manipal ... :) , the sleepy town at the end of the world ...

True about engineers .. satisfaction .. balls. ... but then to each his own