December 24, 2008

My word, a noteworthy letter

A couple of Sundays back, I read a cover story done on graphic novels done by Brunch - the Sunday magazine of Hindustan Times, a national Indian daily. I am no expert on graphic novels and have only read a couple of such novels but a couple of friends of mine are quite knowledgable about them. So, I have heard their conversations at times and framed my own view of sorts regarding them. Anyhow, I read this story with interest and felt that there were a couple of things amiss in it. So I thrashed out a feedback note of sorts on my cell phone, saved it as a draft and sent it across to them in the next few days. Here's how it read:


"Your cover story on graphic novels was an interesting read. While it was informative as to how graphic novels have developed in India, I was no closer to understanding the nuances of this branch of novels. The comparison of graphic novels with comic books was brief to say the least and unsatisfactory in my view. Examples of the works of world acclaimed graphic novelists such as Neil Gaimon and Alan Moore could have possibly helped the reader to understand how graphic novels came to be and if at all a blend of text and graphics communicates differently. What are graphic novels really? That question remains unanswered. "The case of the graphic novel in India" would probably have been a more suitable title for this cover story."


This wasn't the first time that I was sending a piece of writing to a newspaper. I had written a piece on how work in a software company compares with engineering college and sent it across to the Hindu, an excellent newspaper whose readership is primarily in South India. Nothing came of it and when I look back at it, I'm not surprised. While I think there is a good flow in the writing, it's more of a personal rant with no perspectives gleaned from other people. I did discuss the issue with some of my batchmates but then I didn't incorporate their thoughts as quotes. I remember having thought then that I can't go about talking to people and putting quotes and stuff in writing. It's only I've started work here that I've realised the importance of doing so and also how to go about it. For the first week or so after I'd sent in the note, every morning I would religiously check the newspaper to see if my article had been published. It wasn't, ever. I don't mind them not having published the piece but would some feedback have hurt them? I had actually met the supplement's editor and sent the piece in as a demonstration of my interest to work with them.  

The past is well, past. 

Last Sunday I skipped down the hostel stairs and returned to my room with a bundle of newspapers. Flipped open the Sunday Brunch, half expecting my letter to be there. And, it WAS! :D It was an amazing amazing kick :) Went around the hostel showing the published note to some friends. 

Maybe I'll look back at this too and think that it wasn't really such a big deal. Sure, a lot of people must be writing in to the paper but heck, isn't it just a feedback note? Maybe. And, no one saw the note and then got in touch with me to congratulate me. (I'm sure my uncommon surname ensures that I have no namesakes.) 

This is how it was printed. A phrase removed and an italicised word straightened. But I'll take it happily. 

"Your cover story on graphic novels was an interesting read. While it was informative as to how graphic novels have developed in India, I was no closer to understanding the nuances of this branch of novels. The comparison of graphic novels with comic books was brief to say the least. Examples of the works of world acclaimed graphic novelists such as Neil Gaimon and Alan Moore could have possibly helped the reader to understand how graphic novels came to be and if at all a blend of text and graphics communicates differently. What are graphic novels really? That question remains unanswered. "The case of the graphic novel in India" would probably have been a more suitable title for this cover story."

It's an outright critical letter that got published in the supplement of a national daily. At 22, I quite like it :)   
  

2 comments:

The Comedian said...

First off, congratulations. I myself have been sending (what in hindsight seem to be no more than rants) to newspapers since the middle of May this year. However, the only thing I have to show for it is two lines in the comments section of an article on RediffNews (which I don't think filters their stuff)

Merry Christmas Harami. :)

Wordpsmith said...

Thanks a ton brother. Let's hope that this letter is being ze tip of an iceberg ;-) A happy new year to you too, chinkad. :)