April 17, 2008

A dangling conversation

Mid-week drinking has a different feel to it. Normally I go to a pub on Friday and have some beer with my college friends. I had a really good time the day before yesterday. And I had a good time yesterday too! Different places, different ambiance, different experiences. I won't talk about them now. That will be covered in a different post. (Hopefully, putting this hope down will subconsciously motivate me to write it too :) )

So anyways, I was getting a bit bored yesterday. The mood around me wasn't stimulating enough. And the music wasn't great either. And then a conversation happened which made my evening :D

I won't get into the details of the people I mention in this conversation. Personally, I hate long blog posts. And I'll indulge myself with them only when I feel that I'm a captivating enough writer :) Suffice it to say that Chedds and I had a conversation earlier in which we wondered whether all things that feel good are bad in some form or the other.

Here comes this wonderful conversation. Hope that I can pull it out verbatim :)


Chedds (talking to Chottu) : Have another mug of beer. You'll feel happy!

Chottu : Nahin nahin yaar... Jyaada khushi pachtee nahin..

Kudwi : Yaar I dunno why I prefer bad things to happy things...

Chedds : You mean, you prefer bad things to 'good' things (indicating air quotes with hands)

Apaaars : Too much happiness is bad for you!

Me : I think it's because happy things start feeling bad after a while whereas bad things end up making you feel good...

Chedds : This sounds familiar!!


So, that was the conversation which took place! I loved it!

It was Poopy (another of the nine boys... one of my favourites actually :) ) who had come up with a wonderful wonderful question some years back. He asked, "Why is it that all of good literature is inherently depressing?" And the wise old Babster (the tenth boy/man) said, "It's probably because we attach a greater price to unhappiness than what we do to happiness."

I agree. Don't you?

2 comments:

peter pan said...

yay! you publicly professed your love for me!
i like the previous one, nicely done. it's odd how every one of us has this unexplainable attachment to the places we temporarily call home.
hope all is well and maybe we shall bump into each other some sunny day soon.

Wordpsmith said...

Has my love for you EVER been in doubt? What with our wonderful conversations during those messed pre college wandering days and BCL and all the other beaudddiful gas :) but ya.. "unexplainable attachement" exists. no two ways about it. looking forward to sunny days with the cunts and life isn't exactly good or bad. it's just interesting.